Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Hitting the Homestretch

My time in D.C. is rapidly winding down (for now), but I think I’ve just about gotten through what I came to do. I have a few more days of research in NARA II to finish up some State Department and Secretary of Agriculture Records, and a couple more days at the Library of Congress to finish up with the Celler Papers. All in all I’ve found a lot of really great stuff, have learned to use the collections, and have a good sense of what other collections I’ll need to look at.

For one, if I do continue to pursue the labor angle (both skilled and unskilled visa categories/admissions,) I’ll need to look through the Department of Labor files. I also might need to look through the Department of Education for the student issue, but again, only if I go down that road. I also didn’t have a chance to look through the Office of the Budget files, which should be a good way to get around the dearth of INS files, and I might try to take another stab at finding the relevant INS records (not likely though.)

I’ll also need to head to Boston to look at the Abba Schwartz Papers, as well as Princeton for the Michael Feighan Papers, and possibly even Reno for the Pat McCarran Papers. Stopping by the Johnson Library wouldn’t be a bad idea either…

In my next post I’ll have some thoughts on the Secretary of Agriculture files, but for now, I’ve only just begun working with them.

1 comment:

Ming H. Chen said...

We should coordinate some of our archive trips, though admittedly that would be more beneficial to me than you... my value extends beyond knowledge of finding tools to being a responsible travel companion, though!