Wednesday, July 16, 2008

...or so I thought

Well, I got to the Library of Congress this morning thinking that I still had four boxes of materials to look through in the Celler Papers. I've been working my way backwards through the collection (don't ask...it's what I usually do,) and thought that these last four would take me two days to get through. Now here I am about two hours after I started, and I'm finished. 2 of the boxes contained nothing but pamphelts from outside organizations, many of which I've already seen, and Congressional hearings, records, etc., which I've also already seen. The remaining two boxes contained general correspondence coming into Celler's office, but unlike a lot of the later records in the collection, don't seem to have any of his responses or outgoing letters.

I have to think that the disparity between earlier and later records has something to do with when the collections were donated to the Library. Celler donated all of his records through about 1956 in 1967, while he was still a Congressman. The remaider of the collection was donated in 1972 and 1977, at the end and after he left the House. Possibly once out of Congress he felt that he didn't need to hold on to quite as much?

1 comment:

Ming H. Chen said...

Excited to talk with you more about the Cellars papers. He seems key in both immigration and civil rights debates from the mid-1960s, perhaps not coincidentally?